Thursday, February 23, 2012

Benchmarks Are So NOT My Thing

.. So why did almost all students miss questions 4, 7, 9, 13, 21, 24, & 54?

Number 4: When I read this question during the benchmark, it really made no sense to me (partially because I was rushing). I chose answer 'E' because I saw the words art and nature; two things the passage was about. Looking back on it, however, the correct answer 'D' makes more sense because it was a roundabout way of simply saying Oxford borrowed that street's name. The question asks us to give a reason to why a character might call a line "vilely phrased". The vocabulary used tripped me up a bit and I didn't thoroughly look through all of the answer choices.

Number 7: The question itself didn't confuse me as did lines 51-53. I actually understood this question. I just didn't exactly know how to express my thought so I chose 'D' instead of 'A'.  The question simply asks for the sentence's purpose. It was more tricky than it was difficult. It may have slightly been the vocabulary that messed me up as well.


Number 9: Now for this question, I actually got it right. YES! It asks us to compare Vivian's two speeches and find a similarity between the two. I found that it repeats the argument that the failures of nature inspire people to create (art & furniture). Many students may have gotten this question because instead of looking at both of the speeches, they only looked at one.


Number 13: Ahh comedy, of course! Obviously we have no sense of humor and that is why most of us got this one wrong. Seeing the answer now I can sort of see why it is what it is. I chose 'E' because it was a conversation between the two speakers, but I guess it wasn't witty. A closer reading of answer choice 'C', however, does make more sense because Vivian's viewpoints of nature is indeed paradoxical inversions of conventional viewpoints. I'll just blame the "comedy" aspect of the question for messing me up, lol.


Number 21: Oh look, grammar!  I remember going back to this question and just guessing on it, but I knew it had something to do with the word lift so 1 point for me. This question asks us for the function of a word. It's difficult because we have to repeatedly go back and forth from the line to the answer choices to see what makes the most sense. After spending so much time on it, you just give it an educated guess and move on.


Number 24: Idio-what? I didn't have much clue to what this question was asking, but I guess 'A' wasn't much of an educated guess. Considering that it was a poem, I should have just chosen "meter" as my answer. I know for a fact that almost everyone got this one wrong because of that word: idiosyncratic.


Number 54: I have no good reason for getting this one wrong besides the fact that I panicked at having 15 seonds left and just randomly marked something that looked right. I dislike the way those questions are phrased anyways: What BESTS describes Joe's speech? With that being said, there's always two choices that seems to be right.


My goals for the rest of the semester are as follows:

For the Benchmark, I plan to go through and review the last two ones that we've taken so far one by one. I'm also going to try to look for some online tools to help me and attend tutorial if my schedule permits. Maybe I'll even read a passage and try to answer the questions 3-5 times a week. Build up some stamina for these things!

For the essays, I plan on reviewing notes that you have previously given us on how to score a '9'. I'm going to look over the tone sheet, literary devices, etc. I also want to try to be able to look at random prompts and be able to spot specific ideas in it, but also tie it to one big one as well. I'll read some of my other classmate's essays and compare them with mine.



Azian student must get uh duh A plus plus in class or no rice uh fo u!

No comments:

Post a Comment